Saturday, December 29, 2007

Benazir Bhutto

I'm sure everyone's heard about the assassination of the first female prime minister to be democratically elected in an Islamic country. I keep hearing a lot of talk about who's benefitting from it and who's screwed (read: Washington). So far I think the most insightful analysis was one I heard from a reporter who has spent a lot of time in Pakistan- that the most predictable thing about Pakistan is that it's too unpredictable to readily analyze. But then, randomness is still a pattern...

Maybe that's just a cop out. (The unpredictability thing). But if it's accurate, wouldn't recognizing that fact be crucial to deciding the next move? I'm not sure. I 'm not terribly well read on Pakistan's politics, and I'm sure she, like all of us had faults. Is there ever politician without corruption? Maybe equality in politics means we're ALL ruthless bastards and bastardettes.

Nevertheless, I think she was a pioneer for oppressed Islamic women.

My question is- who was the genius in her "security team" that approved a vehicle with a sunroof? What a simple temptation.

Just a thought.



Another page turns.


1 comment:

CarbonDate said...

This could end very badly. Like Franz Ferdinand badly. The potential is there for this to spiral horribly out of control if Musharraf doesn't do the right thing (and I don't think he will). The international community (specifically the U.S., Russia, and China) need to step up and get on the same page quickly to prevent a civil war in Pakistan, which could result in a Taliban-style government taking over which could result in a nuclear exchange with India, which could result....

Check out my blog. I posted on this topic.