Monday, December 31, 2007

Eve of the New Year

Where does the apostrophe belong "New Year (s) Eve" ? New Year's Eve? Because the eve belongs to the new year, right? Not the collective years of the ages? Although even if it was a collective, it would still be considered singular, yes? As it is one collective, not several? Although it's not the eve of the many years, collective or not. So I'm leaving it where it is.

What about the apostrophe in "its" in the contraction of "it" and "is" versus the p
roperty of "it"? I remember having a lengthy discussion about this is Mr. Thompson's 10th grade english class, but the conclusion evades me. I believe the apostrophe is reserved for the possessive form- anyone want to weigh in?

Punctuation aside, Erich's preparing an entire turkey for dinner tonight. And potatoes and stuffing. I guess he felt left out on Thanksgiving, as he makes a damn fine turkey and we have too many mothers and grandmothers still having their own Thanksgiving meals for him to justify making yet another.

Not that we don't like all those meals! We love them! Just...every year this time he gets a turkey itch and finds a way to sneak one in somewhere.

That's okay. As long as I get to have a glass of champagne.

5 comments:

CarbonDate said...

The apostrophed (is that a word?) "it's" is for the contraction of "it is", while the unapostrophed (okay, I'm almost certain that's not a word) "its" is possessive.

On a side note, my New Year's Eve started bloody fantastic, took a turn for the worse, and then ended on a positive note. All in all, a pretty memorable day.

lindsay said...

I'm pretty sure he's right. But you might want to check out Grammar Girl - I was listening in the car on the way home from the Twin Cities today and she mentioned that was something she was either going to put on her website or talk about in an upcoming podcast.

I should get paid for that plug.

Katie said...

We actually get Grammar Girl's podcasts so I'll have listen for it.

Darrell, maybe it's spelled "apostrophied"?

lindsay said...

The sign at McDonalds by mom's says:

Cherry Pie's
They're Baaack!!

It took me awhile - but after a lengthy discussion Lindsay, mom, and I decided that it is wrong.

-Kari

CarbonDate said...

No, I'm right. I know these things, and if I don't, I keep my mouth shut.