Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I'm back!

Hello! I've been away, but after being lovingly harrassed by friends and family to keep up my blog I've finally gotten my butt in here. Among my latest experiments:

Braided egg bread (at left): The first white bread I've made in a while, as I usually opt for whole wheat. I made it for my grandpa, for Christmas, since he's always making us the cheesebread that I love so much. The dough is braided and then glazed with an egg batter/poppyseeds and makes a very pretty picture. I got this picture off the internet, but it's pretty close to what mine looked like.



Also, homemade whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta: a hit with my huband, although he complains about the fiber. :-P He'll be okay. ;-) But he gets annoyed when I talk about poop.

Two different pestos a la Christina Pirello:


a cilantro hempseed pesto, as a relish to blood orange-infused olive oil fried tofu/sauteed arugula ( a peppery green akin to baby spinach). Mix a few cups cilantro with 3 tbsp hempseeds, drizzle olive oil, 2 tbsp. white miso (femented soy paste, very good for you, adds nutty flavor and moisture) and blend in food processor.

an arugula/pinenut/cracked pepper pesto simply mixed with whole wheat pasta and a sprinkle of shredded parmesan. The above listed ingredients and another drizzle olive oil and white miso.

Some "leftovers" concoctions:

mixed veggie tofu stir-fry: sauteed baby spinach with assorted chopped veggies found in the fridge- seeded jalapeno, red pepper, onions/shallots, garlic, chunks tofu, and some other stuff I can't remember. It turned out pretty tasty. Mostly because I used a rediculous amount of garlice. :-)

And general other things:

smokey edamame: this simple dish was hubby's idea but it was excellent! Frozen edamame thawed/warmed and mixed with a generous sprinkle smoked salish sea salt. AWESOME.

We got a few new cookbooks for Christmas, I'm excited to try them! I actually got the egg bread recipie from one that Erich's grandma got us (it has a whole section on yeast breads, which I plan to go through one by one).

That's all for now.

:)


1 comment:

lindsay said...

Your braided egg bread looks a lot like challah. Very delicious indeed.