Monday, January 7, 2008

sticky rice is sticky for a reason

Tonight was leftovers. Which means I throw all the little bits of half-used ingredients together in a pat and saute with something or other. Actually last night was too, meaning I had a stir-fry of leftover tempeh, brussel sprouts, daikon, ginger and spinach. At which Erich complained that he had to cook my plate by smell as he couldn't be convinced to try it. It was actually not bad, the daikon gets a nice sweet flavor when it carmelizes, but the big brussel sprouts were a little out of place. Either way I'm happy to have so many vegetables around, even if I can't buy them from local farmers. If only there was some way to stock up in the summer and save them all. My mom used to store carrots in a bin of sand when she was growing on the farm. If only that worked for everything!

Tonight was leftover brown rice, and more daikon, ginger, and spinach. Again not bad, but not something I'd recreate. I threw some nutritional yeast and hempseeds on just because I have enormous containers of both. (They don't sell either in small portions...hmm, I wonder why? :-) Anyway, so endeth the fridge cleaning mission- tomorow I am definately making a real dinner. Although I still have a bunch of daikon left. Which, by the way, I keep calling a leek and Erich keeps scolding. It's actually taken quite a bit of effort to use it's correct name here. Ha!

Lindsay, I'm officially drinking the vanilla soymilk you left here. But I'll buy you a new one next time I see you. And just for the record, in case anyone was wondering, brown rice does *not* work in sushi. I tried it in place of the sticky rice and now I understand that the stick is an essential component of the whole process. I thought maybe I could get away with it, but no. Maybe if I overcooked it in a pot with too much water, or just picked up the maki and ate it like a hot dog without slicing it. Hmm. You'd have to cover the bottom or... roll it shut! Perfect!

Erich has officially threatened to boycott showering and general hygiene until I shave my armpits. His exact words were "I can stink you out". We'll see about that. He doesn't seem to have noticed the 3-month shadow on my legs. Don't tell him!

4 comments:

lindsay said...

We can share the soymilk! It's delicious enough to share.

NO SHAVE!

Katie said...

Yea! (And the soymilk is gone. Erich finished it!)

CarbonDate said...

I don't know that you fully understand the level of stink that a man can tolerate on himself. We have an amazing capacity to shut out our own stink when we put our minds to it. In fact, I'd venture to say that if it weren't for women, we wouldn't shower at all; we'd just take a dip in a local body of water and call it a day. And maybe some Gold Bond if we got itchy.

But then, I somewhat sympathize with how society places expectations on women's body hair. I have to shave my face because the military tells me to, even though I think a goatee would look pretty sharp with my shaved head. And on the topic of baldness: it's really a no-win proposition. The ring of hair around the head never looks good; I don't care what anybody says, it's still an object of derision. And any attempt to retain or regrow our hair, or otherwise conceal our baldness is subject to harsh ridicule by people who feel we should just "accept who we are" (which is to say, an ugly bald man). Then there's shaving your head, which I do, but this only recently became socially acceptable among whites, and it's still not as good as having a full head of hair. So, to an extent, I feel your pain.

But look out for the stink. Erich strikes me as the kind of guy who can carry a lot of it without much problem.

Katie said...

Hahahahahaha. Perhaps, but so far 1) I can handle a weekend of him not showering, which is common, and 2) I've gotten fairly used to the smoke smell, although it still irritates my nose most when I'm sick. But you raise a good point, especially since smokers have a less sensitive sniffer.

Although Erich swears he smell our neighbors' apartment, which smells like garbage, while I thought it was only the building in general. So maybe my sniffer is on the fritz , too.