Saturday, May 3, 2008

Dough renaissance!

This weekend has been a dough renaissance! Last night we made baguettes for the first time- think long thin french bread. Delicious! Turned out with a really good flavor and chewy, crisp crust. Kind of a goofy shape since we're not good at rolling them yet (but we're getting better!).

Next: saturday morning means chocolate bread with mascarpone cheese and mimosas. Since we slept late and the dough needed three hours to rise/rest, we didn't end up eating until around 2:45 pm, but it was worth the wait! We still have five more (small) loaves of choco-dough left to share, one in the fridge and 4 portions in the freezer.

Dinnertime: Honey oat whole wheat loaves- two biiig round ones. I kneaded the hell out of this dough just to see how dense a bread I could get- and I got what I asked for! Yum. Very heavy, thick, and delicious with some curry over the top. I think it'll be good for breakfast this week with some butter and hot tea. We also had one of last night's baguettes with some hummus I made with smoked sea salt, chipotle pepper/chili powder. Sooooo good.

Erich and I have been reading Bread Alone, a book Nat got me a while back with a lot of great techniques for artisan bread baking, and we're setting out to get our kitchen up to speed. First thing- time to get a bread stone or hearth bricks.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

I wish I could bake bread... My oven is too finicky to try. The temperature knob comes off so I never really know if I'm setting it for the right temperature or not.