Friday, September 26, 2008

bacon grease?

My dad makes the best pancakes in the world. As much as I like to cook, I've never quite been able to recreate them. I think part of it is that I have grown up and become more critical of food, but I finally admit that maybe (MAYBE) the reason they are so good is because he used to cook them in bacon grease. !! I know! Gross, right? Well, we had this great skiddle big enough for six pancakes and when he made bacon on it, the grease dripped out the botton through a little spout and it was collected, cooled, and saved. The bacon crumbles sank to the bottom leaving a fairly pure product on top. I never though twice about it growing up, but looking back...I suppose it's not any worse than butter. But seriously, I can't think of what else it could. Other than the whole dad thing.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

mmmm now I want pancakes!

Joy-filled Future said...

My mom and dad used to have a coffee cup (or 2) of bacon grease in the fridge. They used to make lots of stuff in it...fried potatoes, pancakes, you name it. I wonder if their pancakes tasted like your dads!?