Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm going to Minnesota!

I'm going to Minnesota to volunteer for the Obama campaign! I am so excited! I leave on friday and am planning on staying through Super Tuesday (Feb 5). I have found a place to stay for mon and tues night, but I still need to find a place for fri, sat, sun. At that point I will decide whether to continue to another state or come home. For those who aren't aware, the WI primary is Feb. 19th, so it would make sense for all of you in WI to vote and me to be here to volunteer for that one as well.

By the way, I quit my job. I gave a proper two week notice and did everything right, but now I'm free! They (my former employers) are good people, and I respect the organization, but I was so unhappy in pharmacy. It's time to start living life the way I want, and not the way that false promises tell me I should. I feel like I have to world at my fingertips! I'm living my life instead of watching it go by. Isn't that cheesy? It is, but it feels fabulous.

I'm thinking about bringing a cooler of food with me, mostly containing a loaf of homemade bread, peanut butter, and some fruits and veggies. I don't want to spend a ton while I'm traveling and I also want to maintain healthy eating. Normally I don't eat a lot of nut butters, but since it will likely be my main source of protein (and healthy fats), I think it'll be fine.

I'm planning on writing while I'm there, so stay posted!

For those who are unfamiliar with the Obama campiagn: Barack Obama

I've been irritated by politics ever since I started paying attention; this man represents a real option, a real source of change, a real leader. In this race it's not the lesser of two evils; it's the best chance for this country in years. It's a candidate that can not only rise above the typical games played in Washington, but inspire his peers to do the same. Check out the 'issues' tab for a clear and concise explanation of his stances on the issues that matter to you. Listen to him speak.
Join us!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Hey gorgeous!

I'm so glad that you are happy! You sound truely glowing!! Enjoy your campaign travels! Have you got a camera yet cause I want to see pictures!

I haven't been paying as close attention to the US elections as Americans would do, but from everything I hear Omar really does sound great!

I hope that your travels satisfy the inner politican and adventurer in you!

*hug* =)

Nicole said...

haha I just realised I typed and wrote OMAR!!! hehehe - oops - you catch my drift! ;)

Katie said...

Since you're an Aussie I'll forgive you! It's Obama. :) Thanks babe!

CarbonDate said...

Good for you! That's three out of four of us for Obama, and Mac's a Republican anyway.

I'm thinking about moving to New Orleans after I get out to volunteer to help out. I'm thinking I could put my time to better use down there than I could working for somebody's political campaign. Therefore I am (for the time being) ceding any Wisconsin political ambitions to Aaron. After I do all I feel I can do in NOLA, I might make my way back up to St. Louis, which has many of the same (if not necessarily as dire) problems NOLA has.

A nomadic activist? It would fit my personality better than being a politician. Stay tuned.

Katie said...

Right on! I'm not sure how much time I'm taking off between jobs, but in all reality it probably won't be more than a few weeks total since we *do* have bills to pay, eventually.

Erich's dad went down for a week a while back. It might help if you go affiliated with an organization vs. going by yourself. Something to keep in mind.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CarbonDate said...

I do have an org in mind, but I'm doing some research on it before I dive in. I have two years. I was also thinking somewhere along the lines of a year or so in NOLA. Possibly more if I really feel like I'm doing a lot of good.

It's not just charity work that I'm looking to do, but activist work, as well. The one org I'm looking at offers room and board (no pay), but if I pay off all my debts and tuck a little nest egg away before I get out of the Air Force, I should be okay.

Again, we'll see. A lot can change in two years.