Monday, February 11, 2008

oat bread

Today I make my first trek out to find a job at a bakery. I did a quick google search, found a page and a half of initial options, and planned to collect a bunch of applications to fill out. I planned my initial rounds for bread and pastry bakeries, but included cake, chocolate, and candy places in case I had to go a bit off the initial course.

After heading out this morning, I realized there is some sort of secret industry rule that makes all bakeries of any import close on mondays.

After two hours, the first place I found open was not hiring, which made me unreasonably sad. :( That's okay, though, tomorrow I will head out again to all the places that were closed before going down to Madison to visit my brother. I'm not sure if he knows I'm coming yet. I should call him.

After lying on the couch and feeling unsuccessful I got up and tried a new project- oatmeal bread. Specifically, I ground several cups of oats and used this for my flour instead of wheat. Also included 1/2 cup amaranth and 1/2 cup ground flax. So if this works it will be my oatmeal flax amaranth bread. Or something. I used regular flour to knead it, and the consistency is definately thicker and more crumbly, so I'm not sure how it's going to bake up.

**edit**

The bread turned out nicely; it didn't spread too much on the baking sheet, so it's one of the thickest loaves I've ever made. It's a bit doughy, I think in the future I might use the oat flour as a supplement and not a main flour. :) I do like the fullness of it, it made a nice round loaf.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

your bread descriptions always makes me so hungry!!

Come visit one day - I miss you!!

xxx