Wednesday, March 12, 2008

damn car keys

Well, today was a bit of a trial, but it didn't really upset me so much as slow me down for a few hours. Today was my day off (so tomorrow will be pink bandana day) so I slept in (8:30-late!), did my yoga and went for an apple/banana/swiss chard smoothie. My blender has been getting louder after only 1 1/2 weeks of daily use, so I may have to get a new one sooner than I thought. Maybe a vita-mix, since that seems to be the blender of choice by raw foodies (who use them a LOT, in case you were wondering). Any suggestions?

Okay, so far so good-gave the new place it's first good scrub and made some fudge balls with almonds, unsweetened cocoa powder, a few dates, and a generous drizzle of agave nectar. I'm in love with agave-fantastic natural sweetener with a very low glycemic index, so it's not going to spike your blood sugar like honey or syrup would. Mmmm...fudge balls (insert unnecessary dirty joke _____ here) . Anyway, throw the aforementioned ingredients in a blender (chopped up a bit first) and blend until fairly smooth, and roll into little balls. Chill and yum! I also pressed a bit of it into a small creme brulee dish to act as a crust and topped with chopped pear (sort of an inadequate one-person adaptation of -this- I wanted to try it before I used up half my produce making it. I think the whole recipe with the orange-fig sauce would be better, but it was still pretty tasty.)

So, yummy morning, clean apartment, I scoot off to do a load of laundry only to discover that the clotheswasher is not working where I usually go, so I run a few errands with a basket full of clothes in the backseat (artfully drizzled in blue clothing detergent-ever wonder why it is blue? I do) and head home just in time to lock my keys in my car. Which is parked on the street. With a bunch of my little flowered panties in all their glory proudly displayed (blue streaks included) in the back seat. Great! It's like one of those ads for menstrual pads on tv, where they always use some mysterious blue liquid, even though we all know what color they really end up. (So misleading!) I have also conveniently forgotten my cell, so I had to borrow our downstairs neighbor's phone, who was quite gracious about it.

Unfortunately hubby was unable to answer my call until after work, so two and a half hours and many tiles counted later, I finally got into my house. Woo-hoo! Off to finally do that load of laundry elsewhere and then home for dinner, steamed asparagus and wheat pitas stuffed with avocado, red pepper, arugula(rocket), and a creamy raw vegan thai sauce that is AWESOME. (blend soaked pine nuts with basil, red pepper, garlic, shallot, lemon/lime juice, miso, jalapeno and maybe something else I'm forgetting.)

So a good day overall with some minor setbacks. I also am testing making my smoothie for tomorrow ahead of time and keeping it in the fridge overnight since the blender is really loud and might be a bit obnoxious for our neighbors at 6 am. Two bananas, 1 honey orange, ground flax, and lots of kale. I'm looking forward to it already.

Sweet dreams and good food everyone!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

fudge balls!! yum!!!!!!!

Oh man that sucks about getting locked out for so long!!! :-S I've done that one before...just without the floral panties haha!

Miss you gorgeous!!

xxx

lindsay said...

I think it's blue because it looks better in commericals. And blue has super cleaning powers!