Friday, March 21, 2008

insert interesting title here

Well good morning everyone! I haven't posted in a while, it's felt very busy this week-I'm on every day this week with Easter coming up and while it's only about 45 hours, it's been knocking me out. I don't feel it too much until I get home at night and I'm ready for bed at 8:30. I've been holding out until 9 or maybe 10 at the latest because I want to spend some time with Erich at night, but I'm hoping I adjust to this new schedule soon.

Smoothie-land has been going well, but this morning I listened to my body and switched it up for a bowl of weetabix with kefir and a handful of raspberries, and it hit the spot! Mmmm...yum. I'll probably have half my smoothie yet this morning (it's usually about 3-4 cups depending on what's in it) and have half later tonight or tomorrow. Making them the night before has been helpful in the morning as well. I've also been increasing the veggie:fruit ratio since I want to have some of my fruit servings later in the day. Except for today, really, because I'm coming to the end of the week and running out of greens. Today was 1 small apple, 2 small oranges, a large handful of spinach and a handful of beet stems. Earlier in the week I'd been adding kale, swiss chard, beet greens, cilantro, or parsley.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, I'm eating big salad or sandwiches for lunch at work and having a fairly normal dinner with E. at night, so I'm not just drinking smoothies all day. On new recipe days I've been having whatever salad I tried (see below) with some of what Erich's made.

By the way, when shopping for my kefir I had two options- the plain, regular kefir vs. the lowfat strawberry version. You'd think the lowfat strawberry version would have fewer calories and less fat, right? Nope- more fat, more calories per serving and whopping twice as much sugar (due to the 'strawberry' flavor). So I am once again reminding people to read the nutritional labels when shopping! How is that possible? The plain version didn't have anything added, and originally used lowfat milk. Not to mention that the fresh fruit I added today tasted great.

Anyway. Enough of that soapbox. I tried a couple raw dishes this week, a spicy broccoli/nut salad and a marinated kale salad. The broccoli was good, I'll probably make that again, but the kale salad was just ok. Both use salt to wilt the vegetables to take on a softer texture, which requires a lot of salt, and then have a sauce to toss with. To the point where I couldn't eat the kale salad until I'd effectively quartered the salt by added TONs more veggies and making the dish much, much larger. The broccoli dish had the salt right in the avocado/pine nut/garlic sauce (which was quite tasty) and so was better, but I'd used half the salt right off the bat. Next time I'd even half it again. So, about now a simple salad is looking pretty appealing.

The other dish I really liked (Erich even liked it!) was a sunflower seed pate (from Ani Phyo), which consisted of blended sprouted sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, chili powder, and then had chopped green onions/tomatoes stirred in. 1 scoop on a bed of spinach with some grilled salmon and steamed asparagus.

Well, I have to get to work. Have a lovely day everyone!

No comments: