Sunday, April 6, 2008

6 month anniversary!

Today Erich and I have been married six months. That flew by! So much has changed (for the better!) in that time! I quit school and my job, starting working in a kitchen, moved to a much more comfortable apartment...'go big or go home', right? When I started thinking about the wedding a little bit (I still haven't developed my pictures) the first thing I remembered was how struck I was at all the love and encouragement from all the people in our lives. Particularly from those who had been married and/or with children for many years already. It sort of felt like we were being welcomed into some kind of club; they knew far better than we did what we were getting ourselves into. I'm struggling to put it into words, but I felt so connected to the history of our families and how we weave our families together, generation after generation, and rarely consider the enormity of it. I think this is partly because it is so special and so completely normal at the same time. Babies are born every day, but it's hardly routine. Maybe after 5 or 6, I suppose. Maybe not?

It reminds me of how my paternal grandmother sat back at Christmas once, and said to me (and I'm paraphrasing here), 'Sometimes its hard to believe I started all that'. That being her 9 children and the 30 odd grandchildren and what is it, 5 or 6 great grandchildren now? There are two more on the way as we speak, plus the ones my brothers and I will eventually have, so you can see why I lose count.

Anyway, this is kind of a sentimental post. Sorry, they sneak in there sometimes. A more exciting note: tomorrow I start working with the baker! I have to get up at 3 am! Which is why I'm awake at 6 am on a sunday and Kari and Erich are sleeping in the living room. Wake up!

7 comments:

CarbonDate said...

Pfah. I can't speak for the other two, but I shan't be procreating until I've at least built a coalition which has taken over the city of Green Bay.

Speaking of which, Aaron and I have officially started colluding. Expect us.

Nicole said...

Oh congratulations on the anniversary!! Wow time has flown by!!

Good luck with the baker tomorrow!

I miss you loads!!

xxx

lindsay said...

Happy anniversary! whooo!

If you want to have babies, I'm ok with that.

Joy-filled Future said...

Congrats sweet KT (and Erich too)!

Seems just the other day that Erich was heading off to Minneapolis with the comment (to the effect of), "I'm not coming back until I convince her to go out with me!"

BTW - babies are okay with me too. (When you 2 are ready of course!)

lindsay said...

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

Let's make some, Katie!

lindsay said...

Boo. The whole link didn't show up.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/
making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

lindsay said...

the rest of the link is "guide/"