Wednesday, June 30, 2010

my neighbor teran

A few houses down from lives a little girl named Teran. She and her friends play outside on the sidewalk quite frequently. In fact I have become quite paranoid that someday they are going to ride their bikes behind my car when I'm backing out, which has made me more careful lately.

Anyways, Teran and her friend Vanessa ride their bikes up and down the sidewalk, up and down our driveway and back again. I think they are between 8 and 10, I'm not good at kid ages. Last month during our garage sale they came by and asked if we had any free stuff for kids. We gave them a flag with a skull and crossbones on it. I didn't think they'd want it initially, but they immediately began some kind of pirate game in the back of dad's truck.

Awesome.

Then they came back with a handful of change and bought Kari's german candy. And they scored Kari's historic National Geographic collection. We hoped their parents weren't the type to be offended by nude photos of the Bushmen. (Bushman? People of the bush? You know what I mean.) Not sure what they did with the magazines, but I'm sure it was something good. They seem to be quite the team, those two. Vanessa is the bold one, and Teran is more shy.

Yesterday they came up to my front door and sat for about a minute arguing over who was going to knock on my door. I could hear them. It was hilarious. Eventually the more courageous Vanessa did, and announced that Teran had something to ask me (since I was her neighbor, after all).

Teran did not.

Vanessa, matter-of-factly: "She wants some water."
Me, surpised: "You don't have water at your house?"
Vanessa: "No, we're all out."
Me: (laughing) "Ok, hang on."
V, shouting after me: "Can we come in your house?"
I return with two cups of tap water and explain that I'm working, but they can drink on the front porch here.

They look at the glasses.

"Don't you have any bottles?"
"Nope. Sorry"
"Okay" and after one more doubtful look they drank as fast as they could from our big tall adult glasses. It took them a while and then they finished with a gusto, "AH!" and a big grin.

Me: "Was that a race? Who won?"
Vanessa: "ME!" and she hands me back the glasses. "Thank you!"

And they're back to their games.

...

Today they came by again (about 1 minute after I pulled in the driveway...) and we repeated yesterday, with the addition of a snack request. They especially like cheese, but I'm all out. Strawberries are also good, so I give them a little bowl. They mow them down hungrily. I tell them they can just leave the cups and bowl on the porch when they're done. They still want to come inside but I'm holding my ground on this. They are amusing but I have never met their parents, so I don't want to piss anyone off or end up babysitting for the rest of the night. Water and snacks, I hope, are ok. I am afraid I am setting a precedent, but it's more fun to be nice.

I remember going over to my neighbors and hanging out with them when I was about their age. I suddenly remember that they let me hold they newborn son when I was only nine. Were they nuts? It was awesome. I loved being inside their house and babysitting. But that house was tidy and ours is really, really not. In fact the last child I had in my house made sure to point out LOUDLY all the spiderwebs I haven't gotten around to sweeping up. :-D

...

They finished all the strawberries and 1 glass of water. I refilled the glasses with some ice and put out some more strawberries in case they get hungry again. Just in case.

2 comments:

lindsay said...

Not surprised you had a pirate flag at your house. I probably wouldn't let them in my house, at least not until I had met their parents. Or knew that their parents knew who I was/where there kids were.

Katie said...

We are trying to figure out how we can introduce the game "Weed Erich and KT's Garden"