Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 8



I'd like to say these are awesome paintbrushes but they're actually makeup brushes. I never thought I'd own any, actually, but in a fit of self-something (love? indulgence? encouragement?) I went out and got all new makeup. I even let the girl at the counter make me over, although she was extremely cooperative when I said "simple". So cooperative, in fact, that most people can't tell that I'm wearing anything...which could mean it was a very good choice, or a total waste, I'm not sure yet. But anyway, buying some actual high-quality eyeliner was definitely a good choice, since it doesn't run down under my eyes like the cheap stuff always did.

So that's my girly stuff for today...on a semi-related note, hop over to DPR and check out reality-tv's latest abomination. And yes, I am attaching this to a post about makeup.

My thoughts tend to vary between 'makeup is simply a part of our culture, and at a certain age women are expected to wear at least a minimal amount to look put together, especially professionally' and 'its all another bullshit form of control and way to get us to spend money on crap that's probably made out of bat feces anyway'. I say why not both? Although the bat feces can probably be avoided if you make an effort. :-) So although my immediate reaction to DPR's post on "Bridalplasty" was to condemn the show and pity the participants...where do you draw the line between that and any of the things we do to change our appearances? Who's to say that putting 3 coats of powder (yep, 3. They have cutesy little names too. Usually I skip the one called "heat"), eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara (even if its clear), and lip balm/lipstick on each morning isn't a little ridiculous? And that is considered "light"! (I also skip the mysterious "skin rev-er up-er" lotion because no one can actually tell me what it is for...)

What about elective-surgery? The amount of time you spend in the bath each morning? The amount of poo on your face? Maybe the number of places you've had a disease intentionally injected into your face for the sole purpose of removing your ability to wrinkle/show emotion/sweat(I'm looking at you, botox).

Maybe the amount of time you spend pondering it when you should really be getting dressed for work...:-) My coffee is cold, which usually means it is time to get moving.


*By the way...yesterday my counselor told me that I can really talk in circles. In fact he likened me, affectionately, to the little bugs that zip around erratically on the surface of ponds. Heh. Sigh.

3 comments:

lindsay said...

You skip the heat coat? Katie!

I'm getting a big wrinkle on my forehead but I don't want to put anything on it since it's part of aging. But I suppose even that's conscious about self-image since I'm paying attention to it and deliberately making a choice about it.

nonotburg7 said...

Haha! Anyone can ramble. It's when you bring it back together to make sense that counts. You are one of my favorite people, Toes.

Kari said...

I used to hate makeup. I didn't wear it. Period.

Since I moved to HN my routine has progressively gotten more involved. It all started when my last host mom bought me makeup as a going away gift. At first I laughed and politely hid it away. But now I actually use it.

I realized that I need to take care of my skin and my body to take care of myself. So now I apply sunscreen every day to my face, I take a multi-vitamin, I wash my face at night, I floss.

Sometimes I miss rolling out of bed, showering, getting dressed, and leaving. It was a lot easier. But I think in 20 or 30 years I'll appreciate that I took the time to put on sunscreen and floss.